Friday 2 March 2018

Japanese Kids' Books

Children's books (I mean little kids' books, not YA fiction) are an often-untapped resource for inspiration. This is especially true of little kids' books from non-English speaking countries. I'm in the lucky position to have access to lots of Japanese kids' books, and thanks to that I've been introduced to the work of the inimitable Katayama Ken.

Here are some pieces from his 楽しい冬ごもり, a particular favourite:




See what I mean? It's like Van Gogh had a love child with Brian Jacques. I especially love the way the firelight in the second and third pictures imbues the scene: it may be the most effective painting of firelight I've ever seen.

Then there's Matsutani Miyoko, whose work is more like brass rubbings made by Monet:






Finally, there's Kimoto Momoko, whose works looks like Salvador Dali crossed with Dick King Smith:





Grainy internet pictures may not do them justice; I hope this isn't the case.

3 comments:

  1. 'Like Van Gogh had a love child with Brian Jacques.'
    'Like Salvador Dali crossed with Dick King Smith'

    Those are some imposing similees.

    ReplyDelete